The Marblehead Current news in brief is a compilation of need-to-know, general and short news items culled from various sources and published at marbleheadcurrent.org on Mondays. Marblehead residents, governmental entities and nonprofits can email 150-200-word news items for inclusion in the weekly list to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming public meetings
The following public meetings were posted to marblehead.org as of press time.
Wednesday, Jan. 4
- 7 p.m., Planning Board Meeting
Thursday, Jan. 5
- 3 p.m., Green Marblehead Committee Meeting
Tuesday, Jan. 10
- 7:30 p.m., Marblehead Planning Board
Wednesday, Jan. 11
- 8:30 a.m., Marblehead Harbor Plan Working Group
Wednesday, Jan. 18
- 9:15 a.m., Article 44 Committee
All public meetings are subject to change, so be sure to check the town’s website before heading out the door.
Trash, recycling collection
In observance of the New Year’s Day holiday trash & recycling will be picked up one day late on the following days:
- Tuesday trash & recycling will be collected on Wednesday, Jan. 4
- Wednesday trash & recycling will be collected on Thursday, Jan. 5
- Thursday trash & recycling will be collected on Friday, Jan. 6
- Friday trash & recycling will be collected on Saturday, Jan. 7
2023 Town Warrant open
Marblehead Select Board voted on Nov. 16, 2022, to open the town warrant for the 2023 Town Meeting to be convened on Monday, May 1, 2023. Deadline to submit citizens’ petitions is Friday, Jan. 27 at noon. For a citizen’s petition form, visit: https://bit.ly/3Fwi9k1. Deadline for boards and committees to submit an article is Friday, Jan. 20, at noon.
The following is a list of vacancies on appointed town boards, commissions and committees. Anyone interested in serving on one should submit a letter of interest and a resume to the Select Board, Abbot Hall, 188 Washington St. or email email@example.com. Please call the Select Board’s Office, 781-631-0000 for more information.
- Two, one-year vacancies, Marblehead Old Burial Hill Oversight Committee
- One-year vacancy, Marblehead Affordable Housing Trust Fund
- Three-year vacancy, Marblehead Design Review Board
- One-year term, Marblehead MBTA Advisory Board
- One-year term, Marblehead Advisory Board
- Five three-year, staggered terms Marblehead Cultural Council
- One-year vacancy, Marblehead Forever Committee
- One-year term, Marblehead Task Force Against Discrimination
Animal shelter accepting volunteers
Volunteers are always needed to help with the feeding and caring of abandoned animals housed at the Marblehead Animal Shelter, 44 Village St. Friends of Marblehead Abandoned Animals (FOMAA), a nonprofit organization, was formed for this purpose. To volunteer, call 781-631-8664.
MassDEP mattress and textile waste bans
As of November 2022, landfills, transfer stations and waste-to-energy facilities across the commonwealth no longer accept mattresses and textiles for disposal. Mattresses must be recycled and textiles must be donated for reuse or other secondary uses. The fee to recycle a mattress and box spring at the Marblehead Transfer Station: $25. Textiles include clothes, shoes, linens, towels, curtains and cloth accessories.
At the Marblehead Transfer Station, residents with facility stickers can recycle textiles in the clothing collection bins for no fee. Items must be dry and in trash bags.
Volunteer at the Marblehead Public Health Dept.
Residents may volunteer to serve on the Marblehead Recycling Committee, which is appointed by the Marblehead Board of Health. The Swap Shed is another place where volunteers can help. Volunteers are also needed to sell facility stickers and to check cars for up-to-date stickers as they enter the transfer station. Contact the Public Health Department for additional volunteer information: 781-631-0212