The Marblehead News is pleased to be supplementing its coverage of public meetings with Observer Reports provided by volunteers from the Marblehead League of Women Voters. To learn more about the League and its activities, see my.lwv.org/massachusetts/marblehead.
Board: Recreation and Parks Commission
Date: Tuesday, June 28
Observer: Kay Rieper
Attendance: Chairman Derek Norcross, Linda Rice Collins, Matt Martin, Karin Ernst and Rosanna Ferrante were all present, along with Superintendent Peter James and Recreation Director Jaime Bloch
- The board reorganized, with Norcross elected chairman and Rice Collins vice chairman.
- James and Bloch were reappointed to their respective positions.
- James offered a report on many repair and replacement projects underway at Rec and Parks properties, including Hobbs Playground, the shed at Gatchell’s and the Seaside tennis courts.
- As part of James’ report, it was noted that the railing at the Crocker Park float had fallen into the water but was recovered and would be repaired.
- Bloch reported that the town’s playground programs, which had just begun for the season at that point, were full with waiting lists, and that “Fire Chief Santa” would be making a special appearance for “Christmas in July” on July 24.
- The commission also received a letter requesting to install a bronze duck sculpture at Chandler Hovey, which was approved conditionally, pending a determination of whether the size of said duck was “reasonable.” If not, the duck might be out of luck.
- Commissioners also discussed whether the cost would be worth the benefit of developing the department’s own dedicated website. No decision was reached, and the commission plans to resume the discussion at a future meeting.
- The next meeting was set for 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 13, with the Sports Subcommittee meeting afterward.
Read the full report below.