Police log, May 18-25: Visitor’s moving of dinner tray sets off nursing home row

Excerpts from the Marblehead police log of Thursday, May 18 through Thursday, May 25, 2023. Consistent with state law, Marblehead Police have adopted a policy of not providing to media outlets reports related to incidents related to domestic violence, juveniles and matters that remain under investigation.

Thursday, May 18

6:09 a.m. An officer investigated a report of a car alarm sounding on Beacon Street.

9:34 a.m. An officer responded to the scene of a vehicle crash on Selman and Front streets.

1:26 p.m. Officers investigated a report of people yelling on Cloutmans Lane.

2:36 p.m. An officer was dispatched to the area of Pleasant and Washington streets to investigate a report that a fire hydrant had been damaged and was lying in pieces on the ground. Upon his arrival, the officer found that the Marblehead Water and Sewer Department was already on scene fixing the downed fire hydrant. The officer found that there was no one in the immediate area who had witnessed the fire hydrant being damaged. The officer went into a local business and spoke with the owner to ask if the business had a video camera that may have captured the hydrant being damaged, but it did not. About a half-hour later, the business owner called the police station and told the dispatcher that she would be emailing a video to police, but its quality was not good.

4:03 p.m. An officer investigated a report that a car had been keyed on Washington Street.

4:28 p.m. A boat complaint was investigated on Marblehead Harbor.

6:16 p.m. An officer investigated a report of a tree or branch down on Turner Road.

6:30 p.m. Officers investigated a report of a stolen cell phone.

6:30 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the Devereux Nursing Home to investigate a report of a disturbance: a woman who had walked in and started yelling and using profanity. Upon their arrival, the officers went up to the second floor where a nurse explained that a woman visiting a resident was creating a scene in the hallway whom they wanted removed. The officers went to the room in question and were met by a woman who was talking loudly to a resident. According to the officer’s report, the woman was not surprised to see the officers there but asked if she could give her side of the story. The woman explained that she came to visit around 5 p.m. when dinner was served to the resident’s roommate. The woman said that, at some point, she had placed the dinner tray in the hallway, as it was making the small room even more cramped, which drew the ire of the nursing staff. The woman explained that, had the nursing staff spoken calmly to her, she would not have yelled back and cussed at them. The woman stated that she was going to complain to the administration about how she was treated. The officer advised the woman that the nursing staff wished to have her leave. The woman gathered her belongings and was escorted out of the building by the officers. The woman asked the officers for their names, and one of the officers gave her a business card. The woman’s vehicle then bumped into another vehicle as she was leaving the parking lot, and one of the officers assisted her with leaving her information on the vehicle that had been struck and then guided her out of the parking area.

9:41 p.m. A person was transported to the hospital after a disturbance was reported on Village Street.

10:26 p.m. An officer was dispatched to Pleasant Street to investigate a report that a woman’s unlocked apartment had been entered while she was out running errands. The woman had returned home to find a couple of containers and their contents out of place. The woman’s upstairs neighbor had not seen or heard anyone in the woman’s apartment but did notice her door was ajar while she was gone. The woman did not believe anything had been stolen. The officer advised her to lock her doors when she is not home.

10:40 p.m. An officer investigated a report of suspicious activity on Brook Road.

Friday, May 19

8:43 a.m. A vehicle crash was reported on Tufts Street.

9:42 a.m. An officer spoke in the police station with a man who reported that someone had taken $500 out of his checking account through Western Union. The man believed that his personal information was compromised and that it was related to a previous dispute he had with a property management company about unpaid rent. The man said he was expecting Western Union to get back to him with more information about the transfer. The officer advised the man to call his bank and have the $500 taken out of his account flagged as fraud.

11 a.m. A Kenneth Road resident reported that there was a dog walking in his yard.

3:23 p.m. An officer was dispatched to Atlantic Avenue, where he was met by a man whose silver Honda Accord had been sideswiped by another vehicle. The damage was minor but ran down the whole right side of the vehicle. The officer then went over to Living Swell, and the owner said she would review security footage and email the officer anything she found.

6:57 p.m. Officers were dispatched to an apartment on Ocean Avenue to speak with a tenant regarding a dispute she was having with her landlord. The woman explained that earlier in the day, a man had arrived to remove her property from outside and inside the residence, which he did not have permission to do. The man stated that he had been directed by the landlord, with whom the woman has had ongoing issues, to the point where she was planning to move out at the end of June. One of the officers told her that she should continue to document issues with her landlord, and advised her of her options to pursue civil matters in court.

9:03 p.m. Officers investigated a report of a “hill jumper” on Peach Highlands.

Saturday, May 20

8:55 a.m. Officers responded to the scene of a two-vehicle crash on Pleasant and Gerry streets. One of the vehicles had to be towed.

11:58 a.m. A possible scam was reported on Tedesco Street.

5:01 p.m. An officer spoke by phone with a woman who had been the apparent victim of unemployment fraud. The woman reported that her employer had contacted her to report an attempted unemployment fraud scam in her name. The woman stated that she had already contacted the major credit bureaus, which reported that no unauthorized accounts had been opened using her information. The officer advised her to report the attempted fraud to her banks. The officer told the woman that he would file a police report to further document the attempted fraud.

9:07 p.m. A caller on Rockcliff Road reported that someone was pounding on their door. The officer did not locate anyone. 

10:15 p.m. Officers investigated a disturbance on Pleasant Street.

10:45 p.m. Officers assisted the driver of a bus stuck on Lee Street.

Sunday, May 21

9:22 a.m. Loud music was reported on Fieldbrook Road and Camille Terrace.

12:13 p.m. A Tesla being driven erratically was reported on Atlantic and Ocean avenues.

1:09 p.m. Officers assisted the driver of a stuck truck on Prospect and Washington streets.

2:46 p.m. A hit-and-run was reported on Washington Street.

3:29 p.m. A minor accident was reported on Leggs Hill Road and Angenica Terrace.

Monday, May 22

2:14 a.m. An officer found a bike on Ocean Avenue.

12:07 p.m. An officer was dispatched to Tucker Street to investigate a report of a past hit-and-run. A woman told him that her vehicle had been struck by an unknown vehicle sometime within the last three hours. There were no witnesses and no cameras in the immediate area that would have recorded the collision, according to the officer’s report. The damage was to the front left of the woman’s vehicle.

1:43 p.m. An officer investigated a report of identity theft called into the station.

3:14 p.m. A caller reported a vehicle crash on Smith Street.

8:15 p.m. An officer conducted traffic enforcement on Atlantic Avenue by Clifton Avenue from approximately 8:15 p.m. to 9 p.m. He reported that traffic flow was light and that he did not witness any traffic violations.

9:21 p.m. An officer was dispatched to Johns Road, where a woman told him that her husband’s Harley Davidson motorcycle, which was covered and parked on the street in front of their house, had been knocked over approximately 45 minutes earlier. The woman and her son had uprighted the motorcycle prior to the officer’s arrival. The officer observed scratches to the right saddle bag and right crash bar. The woman and the officer agreed that it seemed unlikely that the motorcycle had fallen on its own, as it had landed on the opposite side of the kickstand on which it leans while parked. The officer did not observe any damage to the left side of the cycle. The officer planned to follow up with the motorcycle’s owner on Tuesday and check with neighbors to see if there were any cameras that may have recorded the incident.

Tuesday, May 23

3:53 p.m. An officer spoke in the police station lobby with a man who had ordered a new cell phone from Boost Mobile on Jan. 5, which had been misdelivered to his old address in town on Jan. 13. The man said he had informed the company that the address was incorrect prior to delivery but was told that their system was down and that the phone could not be redirected. The man said he got a similar message the multiple times he tried to file a claim with the company. He had been instructed to file a claim with UPS, but UPS told him that such a claim had to come from the shipper. When he relayed this information back to Boost Mobile, the representative told him he would need to file a police report, which is what he was doing now.  regarding the situation.

4:26 p.m. An officer and officer-in-training were dispatched to Harbor Avenue to speak with two people embroiled in a disagreement over work materials. A woman with a New Jersey driver’s license stated that she and her business partner had completed work re-staining the front door of a Harbor Avenue home, but the resident was both refusing to pay and refusing to give back her work materials. She estimated the value of the work she had done at $600 and had receipts for materials of $87 from Home Depot. The woman stated that she wanted her materials back and would take the homeowner to court if she did not pay for the work. One of the officers knocked on the front door and spoke with the resident, who said she was not happy with the work and was not going to pay $600. The officers were able to facilitate a return of the work materials, and the workers were satisfied with pursuing payment for their work in court and left the property.

Wednesday, May 24

10:40 a.m. A scam call was reported on Commercial Street.

11:15 a.m. Ammunition was turned in for destruction on Cypress Street.

11:24 a.m. An officer spoke in the police station lobby with a woman who had questions about the authenticity of a letter she had received, purportedly from Social Security, about her son owing tax money for work. The officer determined that it appeared to be a real letter from Social Security, but he still advised her to report the activity and to have her son’s Social Security number flagged with the credit bureaus.

12:01 p.m. Officers responded to the scene of a vehicle crash on Pleasant and Cross streets.

12:24 p.m. An officer investigated the report of a vehicle crash on Washington and Pleasant streets.

12:37 p.m. A past hit-and-run was reported on Trager Road.

1:46 p.m. A neighbor issue was reported on Pitman Road.

4:06 p.m. Officers investigated the report of lost microphone equipment on Lighthouse Lane.

4:46 p.m. An officer and officer-in-training were dispatched to investigate a report of two young

kids on gas-powered bikes weaving in and out of traffic near Miller Plaza. The officers spotted the two youths on their bikes traveling on Sewall Street towards Bowden Street, where they were able to pull the youths over. The officer-in-training spoke with one of the youths, age 13, who was wearing a helmet and shoes. He told the officer that he and his friend were riding around town, enjoying the nice weather. The officer told him that he was not allowed to ride a motorized bike on a public way until he obtained a learner’s permit and had the bike registered. According to the officer’s report, the youth was “very understanding” as he emphasized the youth’s safety and size compared to the larger vehicles that regularly travel Marblehead’s public ways in. The officers had one of the youths call his mother, who arrived shortly thereafter, while the other was picked up by his father. The officer advised the youths and their parents that this was a warning, and that next time this happens, it may end up in court. The mother then asked for both officers’ names, which they provided. 

5:10 p.m. An officer investigated a report of larceny, forgery or fraud on Washington Street.

7:53 p.m. An officer was dispatched to Orne Street to speak to a woman who had seen a person walking around her car which was parked on High Street. The woman stated that she was afraid that a woman with whom she had prior problems but who had since moved was poking around her car again. The officer conducted a walk around the car with the woman but was unable to locate any damage to the vehicle..

8:17 p.m. A missing person was reported on Humphrey Street.

9:37 p.m. Officers could not locate suspicious activity reported on Russell Street.

Thursday, May 25

8:27 a.m. A minor vehicle accident was reported on Summer and Rockaway streets.

12:02 p.m. An officer investigated a report of women in the road near the causeway on Ocean Avenue.

2:43 p.m. A caller on Paradise Road in Swampscott reported receiving a harassing direct message.

3:23 p.m. A moped was “tapped” on West Shore Drive and Village Street.

10:01 p.m. A disabled vehicle was reported on Front Street.

Website | + posts

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: