The Oliver Porter Killam Jr. Private Foundation has reached a milestone of over $5 million in scholarships awarded to Marblehead High School alumni since its inception in 2007. The foundation also recently committed an additional $380,000 to 12 MHS graduates attending college this fall.
The 2023 recipients include:
- Sofia Bathurst (University of Vermont).
- Emma Burbage (Suffolk University).
- Piper Crane (University of California San Diego).
- Summer Genovese (Boston University).
- Olivia Hoover (Florida State University)
- Tamia Johnson (San Diego State University).
- Teaghan Kay (San Diego State University).
- Alba Mehu-Tormo (Stonehill College).
- Stella Monaco (Boston College).
- George Percy (Merrimack College).
- Matthew Schricker (Pennsylvania State University).
- Isabel Wabno (University of Massachusetts Amherst).
These students will receive scholarships over the next four years to pursue various academic interests, which include nursing, psychiatry, biochemistry, architecture and film making, among others.
The foundation was established at the behest of the late Oliver Killam, who willed the bulk of his estate to provide need-based scholarships to MHS students pursuing college degrees. Killam was unable to afford college as a young man but later amassed a fortune through the stock market.
In addition to providing scholarships, the foundation also supports the Abbot Public Library. To date, those donations total approximately $650,000.
The trustees of the OPK Private Foundation are Scott A. MacAllister, Scott J. MacAllister, Frank P. Muzio, Cheri Saltzman and Amy Saltzman. Committee members also include Charlotte Raymond and Charlie Arbing.