LWV OBSERVER CORPS: Harbors and Waters Board, Aug. 7

Marblehead League of Women Voters Observer Corps

Observer Corps Reports are provided by volunteers from the Marblehead League of Women Voters. To learn more about the League and its activities, see my.lwv.org/massachusetts/marblehead.

BOARD: Harbors and Waters Board

DATE: Aug. 7 (in person, at harbormaster’s office)

OBSERVER: Kathy Breslin

COMMISSIONERS IN ATTENDANCE: Gary Gregory, John Doub, Jay Michaud, Ken Breen, Rick Cuzner (alternate)

COMMISSIONERS ABSENT: Clark Smith, Peter Dragonas (alternate), Chris Hood (alternate)

Minutes approved

The meeting was called to order, and July minutes were approved.

Port security grant update

Harbormaster Scott Souza reported that the federal grant has been approved for a new security boat to replace the Stacey Clark, which is 19 years old. Jennifer Smith in Town Planner Becky Curran Cutting’s office has worked hard with Souza to obtain grant approval. This grant is not a part of any Marblehead town grant. Souza has been in touch with Jessie Munson of Washington State, where the boat will be built. Munson has arranged a similar boat for the Braintree Fire Department in the past, as well as the New York City Police Department. The welds are guaranteed for life. The hull warranty is 25 years. The cost of the vessel is around $500,000, with the grant covering 75 percent and the Harbors and Waters covering the remaining 25 percent, or $135,000. The proceeds from retiring the Stacey Clark will go toward the $135,000. The new boat will be a 31-foot Pac Cat, an aluminum tri-hull, 11-foot beam, that can land on a beach. It will have a pumping capacity of 1,000 gallons per minute. All electronics are Garmin. It is similar to the Charlestown police boat. Build time is a year and a half, and it is expected to be ready in spring 2025. Money will be paid when the boat is built.

Harbormaster report

  • Souza stated that recent social media reports about the State Street ladies’ bathroom being locked were incorrect. The door is simply tight and hard to open, but it is unlocked.
  • Two signs provided by Rec and Parks were shown, which state, “No jumping or swimming from pier.” These will be installed at Stramski’s piers.
  • The Marblehead Yacht Club roof repair begins on Aug. 10.
  • Dockwa is on pace and collected $38,000 year to date. Dockwa rental fees are $10/hour for docks and $8/hour for moorings.
  • There have been few complaints about Brown’s (Crowninshield) Island.

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Exit mobile version