A fire in a yard waste pile at the transfer station is under control thanks to the Marblehead Fire Department.
The fire broke out around 9 p.m., Chief Jason Gilliland told the Marblehead Current. No one was hurt. Gilliland attributed the spark to “spontaneous combustion” from dry grass and summer heat.
“It was rolling when we got here,” Gilliland said. “But we got it under control.”
Gilliland said crews with front-end loaders were breaking up and putting water on the smoking brush pile’s hotspots.
“We are soaking it all down,” he said. “It was nothing like the size of last year’s.”
The fire comes nearly a year after the town battled a blaze that erupted in transfer station brush piles. That fire was so intense it damaged windows of an abutting industrial complex. Gilliland believes that fire was set.