POLICE LOG: Officers respond to hit-and-runs, a catering caper, missing leaf blowers

Excerpts from the Marblehead police log of July 17 – 23, 2023. Consistent with state law, Marblehead Police have adopted a policy of not providing to media outlets reports related to incidents related to domestic violence, juveniles and matters that remain under investigation.

Monday, July 17

12:58 p.m. — Officer Douglas Mills responded to a report of identity fraud. The reporting party explained that she had received credit card applications from two separate banks, but she had not applied for these credit cards. This incident raised suspicions as the reporting party’s credit was already frozen due to previous fraudulent activities. In her efforts to rectify the situation, she contacted Experian, who advised her to file a police report to extend her credit freeze and protect her from further unauthorized credit applications. 

4:58 p.m. — Officer Andrew DiMare was dispatched to investigate a report of unemployment fraud filed by the reporting party. The reporting party informed DiMare that he received a notification from his employer indicating that unemployment benefits had been filed in his name on July 7. However, the reporting party is currently employed and did not apply for any unemployment benefits. Concerned about the potential implications of a fraudulent claim, the reporting party promptly reported the incident to the authorities.

Tuesday, July 18

Officer Charles Sweeney was dispatched to Front Street in response to a report of credit card fraud. The reporting party detailed to Sweeney that he had been receiving suspicious phone calls from an unknown individual purporting to be from Eastern Bank. The caller sought personal information from the reporting party, but he, sensing something amiss, disconnected the call and blocked the number. Subsequently, upon reviewing his bank statement, he discovered an unauthorized charge on his credit card. Alarmed by the unauthorized activity, the reporting party reported the incident to the police. 

10:55 a.m. — Officer Andrew Clark responded to a report of neighbors harassing the reporting party on July 18. According to the reporting party, her neighbors have been persistently taunting and teasing her, causing emotional distress. In a specific incident on July 13, she says the neighbors were standing outside their residence and deliberately gesturing to get the reporting party’s attention, exacerbating her feeling of being targeted. To substantiate her claims, the reporting party managed to capture photographic evidence and a short video of their alleged provocative behavior. The reporting party expressed her intention to pursue a Harassment Prevention Order (H.P.O.) should the harassment persist. Clark documented the incident.

7:58 p.m. — Officer Andrew DiMare was dispatched to Winthrop Avenue in response to a report of road rage. It was alleged that one driver had followed another home after an incident on the road, leading to a heated confrontation. During the interaction, one driver allegedly threatened the other, though no charges were pressed. DiMare interviewed both parties involved and advised them that confrontation was not the appropriate course of action, recommending that they contact the police if confronted with a similar situation in the future. 

Wednesday, July 19

7:19 a.m. — Officer Andrew Clark received a report regarding an incident that occurred earlier in the year. In January or early February, the reporting party discovered that her Buddhist flags had been stolen from her property. She communicated with her neighbor to inquire about the missing flags, but the neighbor denied any knowledge of their whereabouts. In the past few days, the reporting party says she noticed the neighbor accessing her property and trimming branches of an overhanging tree, resulting in the fallen flags. Clark spoke with the neighbor, who asserted that she had trimmed the branches to avoid any future encroachments on her property. Although no crime was committed, Clark advised the neighbor to respect boundaries and refrain from actions that could be perceived as malicious. He documented the incident for reference in case of any further disputes.

3:16 p.m. — Police Patrol Andrew Clark received a report from a local landscaper concerning the theft of her gas-powered leaf blower. The incident occurred between May 15 and July 17 at a residential property on Gregory Street, Marblehead. The landscaper stated that during her previous visit to the property in mid-May, she was allowed to leave her leaf blower inside an unlocked shed at the rear of the property. However, when she returned on July 17, the leaf blower was missing from the shed. A neighbor reported witnessing an unknown male leaving the property with the leaf blower sometime the previous week. The missing leaf blower has a broken left shoulder strap, with an estimated replacement value of around $700. The landscaper requested that the incident be reported to the police in case the leaf blower is recovered in the future. The case has been forwarded to the Criminal Investigation Division (CID) for further investigation.

8:07 p.m. — Officer Robert O Picariello responded to a fraudulent check report at the police station. A caterer reported receiving a check for $2,600 after agreeing to cater an event. An individual using the email dstiver37@gmail.com, asked the caterer to forward a portion of the check to a band intended for the event. Suspicious of the transaction, the caterer confirmed with First State Bank of Michigan that the check was fake. Picariello secured the fraudulent check and envelope in evidence. The case is under further investigation.

Thursday, July 20

7:08 a.m. — Patrolman Nicholas Fratini responded to a complaint about an improperly parked vehicle at Pleasant Street. The resident reported that an unknown truck was parked on her front lawn, adjacent to other vehicles in the driveway. Fratini conducted a vehicle registration check, which revealed the truck belonged to a resident on Story Terrace. Fratini contacted the truck owner, who explained that his friend had borrowed the truck and apparently left it on the lawn without permission. The owner agreed to remove the vehicle immediately. While taking statements, the resident mentioned possible grass damage and potential intentions to file an insurance claim. Fratini advised on measures to prevent further incidents and suggested obtaining a harassment prevention order if needed. The incident was documented and forwarded for review.

7:44 a.m. — Patrolman Douglas Mills responded to a report of a hit-and-run incident near Jersey Street. The reporting party informed Mills that she had parked her vehicle in front of Jersey Street and later noticed damage to her driver’s side mirror. Mills examined the scene and took note of the location. A nearby home had a security camera that may have captured footage relevant to the hit-and-run driver. Mills approached the homeowner, who agreed to review the footage for any leads. On Friday, July 21, Mills followed up, but the footage did not capture any relevant information. The case remains open pending further developments or new leads.

9:06 a.m. — Patrolman Luke Peters conducted a property check at Fountain Park and noticed extensive graffiti covering the gazebo rafters. Most of the graffiti was removable chalk, but some appeared to be paint. Peters informed the Park Department to arrange for cleanup and removal. Photographs were taken and included in the report. While no suspects were immediately identified, the case remains open for further investigation.

9:33 a.m. — Patrolman Luke Peters responded to an attempted vehicle break-in report. The victim reported three phone charger plug-ins were missing from his unlocked vehicle parked on Waldron Court. Although other valuables were not taken, the victim wished to document the incident. Peters advised on preventative measures and suggested obtaining a harassment order if needed. The incident was documented and forwarded for review.

3:08 p.m. Police Sgt. Jason Conrad responded to a report of a damaged vehicle on Commercial Street. The victim reported her legally parked vehicle’s rear windshield was accidentally damaged by a rock ejected from nearby landscape equipment. The landscaper had already left a note about the damage and informed his insurance company. The victim was advised to contact her insurance, and the incident was documented.

Saturday, July 22

10:59 a.m. — Patrolman Luke Peters responded to an ongoing neighbor dispute on Barnard Street. One neighbor reported the other had accidentally bumped his boat trailer while maneuvering a truck, although there was no visible damage. The reporting neighbor insisted on documenting the incident as harassment. Peters advised both parties on conflict resolution and explained the option of obtaining harassment prevention orders. The incident was documented.

Sunday, July 23

12:04 a.m. — Patrolman Luc Marcus responded to a report of aggressive door banging on Farrell Court. The reporting party stated she was frightened and had heard similar banging months ago. Marcus arrived, ensured the area was safe and comforted the resident. After an exhaustive search, no suspicious activity was found and there were no signs of forced entry. Marcus checked for related prior incidents and advised the resident to remain vigilant. The incident was documented for future reference.

10:02 p.m. — Patrolman Andrew DiMare observed a vehicle leave the lighthouse parking lot and drive the wrong way, bypassing “Do Not Enter” signs. DiMare conducted a traffic stop, discovering the driver was unlicensed. The driver admitted being unlicensed but claimed he was only moving the vehicle per “public announcements.” However, he confessed to intentionally disregarding the signs. The incident was documented thoroughly. DiMare issued a citation for driving without a license and disregarding signs. The driver was advised on obtaining a proper license. The case remains open for further investigation if required.

+ posts

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: