Small fire closes Shubie’s Thursday morning

A small fire broke out at Shubie’s on Atlantic Avenue Thursday morning, when the motor in a beverage cooler overheated. The fire closed the store, likely for the day. No one was injured.

A beverage container started a fire at Shubie’s Thursday morning. COURTESY PHOTO

“[Manager] Doug Shube used an extinguisher on it and knocked it down,” Fire Chief Jason Gilliland told the Marblehead Current. “When we arrived, there was just smoke.  

“There was still heat in the wall, so as a precautionary measure we opened up the wall,” he added. The Board of Health was also called in.

The emergency call came in at 9:12 a.m. and the fire department sent two engines and a ladder truck to the popular store, which had not opened yet for the day. Fire crews cleared the scene at 10:02 a.m. 

Shubie’s posted about the fire on its Facebook page. “Thankfully everyone is ok. Big, big thank you to the Marblehead Fire Department and Health Department for their quick response. We need to clean up and regroup.”

Shubie’s is expected to open its doors again Friday at 10 a.m., but may re-open as early as Thursday afternoon, according to owner George Shube. Updates will be posted to the store’s social media accounts.

+ posts

Leigh Blander is an experienced TV, radio and print journalist who has written hundreds of stories for local newspapers, including the Marblehead Reporter. She also works as a PR specialist.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: