Police log, Sept. 29-Oct. 5, 2022: Officer helps wayward Hyannis Marine Corps vet find way home

Excerpts from the Marblehead police log from Thursday, Sept. 29 to Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2022. Consistent with state law, Marblehead Police have adopted a policy of not providing to media outlets reports related to incidents related to domestic violence, juveniles and matters that remain under investigation.

Thursday, Sept. 29

2:55 a.m. Officers were dispatched to Creesy Street, where woman told them that her neighbor had sprayed toxic chemicals on her window that were making her go blind. One officer went around the building to check the window while the other officer continued to interview the woman. He asked her if she had any evidence of her neighbor spraying chemicals or touching her window. She told the office “no,” adding that the last time she tried to go speak with the man she was
rushed to the hospital and put into the Intensive care unit because man had toxic chemicals all over her door that almost killed her. Officer told woman he would document what she told him and advised her to stay away from the man and bring any evidence she had down to the police station
for further investigation. Upon clearing the scene, officer looked at the window with the other officer and did not see anything on it, much less anything that looked like chemicals.

7:44 a.m. Officer assisted after report that there was no crossing guard on Village Street.

8:09 a.m. House key was found on Fort Sewall Lane.

9:35 a.m. Deceased rabbit was reported on Smith Street.

9:56 a.m. Man flagged down officer on Ocean Avenue. Officer found that man seemed to be lost and needed help. Man lived in Hyannis but had no idea how to get home because his phone was dead, and the GPS in his new truck only worked when connected to Apple Play. Man went onto say that yesterday, he had left his home in Hyannis, headed for a Best Buy store near Kingston, Massachusetts, where he was going to try and either exchange his phone or get a new one. Man stated that upon his arrival, he was informed they were out of phones and was directed to a second Best Buy location in Brockton. Man stated that, by the time he arrived at the store, it had closed, which meant that he was unable to exchange his phone. As it was now dark, man became disoriented and, without the assistance of his navigation system, quickly became lost. Man said he got back on the highway but had apparently began heading northbound instead of south. Once he had passed the Boston city skyline, he realized he was officially lost. After driving around for what seemed like hours, man found himself in Malden, where he stopped at a pizza shop to grab food. After eating, man said he asked for directions back to Hyannis but must have made another wrong turn and somehow ended up in Marblehead at the Tedesco Country Club. Now, unsure of where he was and without any means of communication, man decided it best to sleep in his truck for the night. After waking up, man stated that he again began driving around trying to find his way back
towards Hyannis, but as he was coming off Marblehead Neck, he saw a police cruiser and decided that he would flag the officer down for some much-needed help. After listening to man’s story, officer became concerned for his well being, as he had been driving around for most of the night and was clearly lost. Officer asked man if he had any family members that he could give a call, man provided the cell phone number of his son, a sergeant in the Paxton Police Department. While officer was explained to Paxton sergeant that he had come across his father in Marblehead, who was very lost and unsure of how he was going to get home, owner of home in front of which the officer and man from Hyannis were parked came home and asked if he could help in any way. Officer had the Hyannis man speak to his father while he moved the man’s truck out of the way of the Ocean Avenue resident’s driveway. While in the man’s truck, officer found the man’s “broken” iPhone and asked him what the problem was with it. The man replied, “It’s dead.” Officer found a charging cord on the floor of the truck, and within a few minutes of plugging it in, the phone came to life. With Ocean Avenue resident’s help, officer got the phone reconnected to the truck’s navigation system and then asked the Hyannis man to follow him to the police station, so he could make sure he could be sent off in the right direction. Once back at the station, man asked officer if he had any police patches, as he collects them. Man was asked to remain in his truck as officer ran into the station to get the patch, while dispatcher came outside with a hard copy of directions back in Hyannis, in case his phone malfunctioned again. In the ensuing 15-minute conversation, officer discussed, among other things, the Hyannis man’s service in the Marine Corps from 1972 to 1976. The conversation left officer satisfied that, with the right directions, man would be able to find his way home, a belief the man’s son, the Paxton police sergeant, shared. With that, officer wished the Hyannis man safe travels and asked him to give him a call to confirm that he had gotten home safely.

11:11 a.m. Officer assisted with dispute between customer and store owner on Pleasant Street.

1:11 p.m. Officer spoke by phone with woman who had just discovered that one of her rings was missing from her jewelry box. She thought that the ring had been stolen but was not certain. Woman explained that the last time she had opened her jewelry box was approximately two weeks earlier, and the ring had been where it was supposed to be. She said that she is very particular about her jewelry and always places items in the same place. The ring was a 1960s cocktail ring made of 14-karat gold with a diamond center, surrounded by opals, with an approximate value of $600. Woman said that, other than her, only two other people had been upstairs in her home since she had last seen the ring, a longtime friend and a contractor that she had known for a long time. Woman declined to provide the contractor’s name, as she would be “mortified” if she turned out to be wrong about the ring being stolen. Instead, she offered to provide the department with the photo of the ring, in case it turned up in a pawn shop.

3:59 p.m. Investigated report of road hazard on West Shore Drive and Waterside Road.

6:03 p.m. Investigated report of lights sparking and smoking on Community Road.

6:37 p.m. Officer took report at scene of vehicle accident on Cottage Street.

Friday, Sept. 30

11:59 a.m. Officer was dispatched to Washington Street on the report of a damage to a town light pole caused during tree work in the area. Crew foreman explained that while a branch was attached to the crane, it got caught up on the light pole on the corner of Washington and Summer streets, which caused damage to the top of the fixture. It did not appear to be a threat to public safety, as the tree workers had already put the top of the fixture back in place. The Light Department was asked to come out and assess the damage.

12:15 p.m. Woman came into the station to report ongoing harassment by another woman, with whom she had a history of ongoing issues. Woman said she had asked the other woman not to contact her but then received a text message from her earlier in the day. Woman said she had tried in the past to obtain of harassment prevention order but had been denied because there had been too few incidents. Woman claimed that she had tried to block the other woman’s phone number, but it had not worked. At the woman’s request, officer blocked the number of the sender of the text on the woman’s phone.

1:17 p.m. Investigated hit-and-run reported on Pleasant Street.

3:08 p.m. Damage to sign post reported on Baldwin Road and Pleasant Street.

4:30 p.m. Officer was dispatched to Susan Road, where there were deep tire marks in resident’s yard, and the grass was all torn up. Resident showed him video of a semi tractor trailer truck, which had tried to turn around in his yard and had gotten stuck. Resident believed the truck eventually needed to be towed out. Resident said he was familiar with the company that owned the truck and would follow up with the company on Monday.

8:11 p.m. Officer met with woman at station about an ongoing dispute with her landlord, who had sent her an eviction notice in the beginning of July, after being a good tenant for 17 years. She had been able to move to another apartment on the same street and had been working on retrieving the rest of her property from her old residence since then. Woman stated that she has been getting “passive aggressive” text messages from the landlord about her retrieving the rest of her property, which primarily included six bookcases. Woman said she had been unable to retrieve the bookcases because she had contracted COVID-19 and needed to recover and regain her strength. Landlord texted her to say that he would be charging her $60 a day until the bookcases were removed. Woman planned to text landlord for a date and time to have the bookcases removed, after which she planned to leave her copy of the keys in the apartment.

9:40 p.m. Investigated disturbance on Sagamore Road.

10:25 p.m. Officer investigated report of vandalism on Spring Street.

11:27 p.m. Disturbance investigated on Lafayette Street.

11:28 p.m. Investigated report of loud neighbors on Summer Street.

Saturday, Oct. 1

11:17 a.m. Investigated report of possible theft of gas on Pleasant Street.

1:06 p.m. Man came into the station to report that at around 6 p.m. Thursday night, he had discovered that the grill was missing from the front of his vehicle, which had been parked on Washington Street. Man said he had driven around to all of the locations he had been during the day but had been unable to find the grill. He just wanted the incident documented in case the grill turned up.

3:46 p.m. Officer spoke at the station with man who had fallen for an online scam involving a fake listing for a house for rent on Overlook Road. He had seen the advertisement on multiple sites but somehow contacted a fake seller. He acknowledged that he had never met with anyone or viewed the home before wiring $7,100 to the alleged owner, who then cut off communications. Concerned, the man then went to the Overlook Road address and spoke with the current occupant, a renter who said he was aware of others who had fallen victim to the same scam. Man was advised to notify his bank of the scam. Man provided officer with documentation of the bogus transaction.

3:57 p.m. Investigated report of woman blocking ramp on Ocean Avenue.

4:17 p.m. Investigated report of online harassment.

5:27 p.m. Missing earbuds reported on West Shore Drive.

Sunday, Oct. 2

1:09 a.m. Water main break reported on Commercial Street.

7:19 a.m. Vandalism reported on Ocean Avenue.

7:37 a.m. Keys were found on Smith Street and Atlantic Avenue.

8:08 a.m. Drifting boat reported on Pequot Road.

9:14 a.m. Assisted boater on Beacon Street.

9:19 a.m. Downed branch reported on Conant Road.

9:35 a.m. Assisted person on Fort Sewall Terrace.

12:22 p.m. Boat complaint on Doaks Lane referred to other agency.

12:55 p.m. Low wire reported on Fort Beach Lane.

12:55 p.m. Officer was dispatched to Prospect Court, where a trustee of the homeowners’ association explained that the association had been having a lot of issues with a resident whom she said harasses other members when they are in the common areas, including giving one of the other residents the middle finger the day before. Trustee said man refused to speak with her regarding association issues. Most recently, he had a pumpkin growing in the property’s side garden, which he kept placing into the adjacent parking space. After trying to address the issue with him, she later found the pumpkin smashed in the parking lot. Officers explained that his failure to abide by the rules of the association was a civil issue but that she could apply for a harassment prevention order, if she believed it was warranted. At trustee’s request, officer went to speak to the man, who said that everyone in the association hates him and is out to get him. He claimed the woman’s comments yesterday had been unprovoked and that she had been waiting for him outside his door. Man said he is trying to sell his home and move down south, as he can’t stand being a part of the association. Officer began to explain the process of how to obtain a harassment prevention order, and man cut him off, stating he had no interest and just wanted to sell his house and be
done with these people.

1:01 p.m. Downed tree branch reported on Sandie Lane.

1:48 p.m. Wallet found on Pleasant Street.

2:26 p.m. Card found on Atlantic Avenue.

3:26 p.m. Officers responded to what was described as a serious accident on the causeway. Upon arrival, officers found two vehicles in the middle of the causeway, both with heavy front-end
damage. The driver of of the first vehicle, a Salem man, stated that he was driving off of the Neck heading back toward the mainland and that the other vehicle was driving in the other lane headed out to the Neck when that vehicle began to drift over the yellow line and into his lane. Man stated that there was nowhere for him to go, and that the other vehicle struck his vehicle head on.
Woman who had been driving behind man’s vehicle confirmed his story. Meanwhile, the driver of the other vehicle, a Saugus woman, was telling another officer that she did not know what happened and that her vehicle had been “pushed over” but could not elaborate on how that had occurred. The Saugus woman was found to have an expired license. Officer told her he would be issuing her a citation for a marked lanes violation. Both vehicles were towed. Neither driver was injured.

9:06 p.m. Person came into station to make a report of “illegal signage.”

9:38 p.m. Disturbance reported on Jersey Street.

11:14 p.m. Suspicious activity reported in Market Square.

Monday, Oct. 3

1:33 a.m. Investigated alarms and odor on Intrepid Circle.

7:53 a.m. Officer investigated neighbor dispute related to new fence on Pitman Road.

10:59 a.m. Investigated past instance of vehicle being struck in parking lot on Washington Street.

4:46 p.m. Assisted with yellow buses stuck on West Shore Drive.

4:57 p.m. Credit card found on Pleasant and Bessom streets.

5:34 p.m. Investigated report of road buckling on Front and Franklin streets.

6:54 p.m. Dead raccoon reported on Lafayette Street.

Tuesday, Oct. 4

7:37 a.m. Low-hanging wire reported on Jersey Street.

8:27 a.m. Officer spoke in lobby with woman who explained that the previous night a young man on a Trek bicycle had knocked on her door and run away, which was an ongoing issue. Woman provided officer with pictures of the young man, which had been taken by her Ring camera.

11:23 a.m. Investigated road-rage incident reported on Pleasant and Spring streets.

2:42 p.m. Investigated disturbance reported on Smith Street.

4:04 p.m. Vehicle with door open reported on Pleasant Street.

8:33 p.m. Investigated disturbance on Village Street.

Wednesday, Oct. 5

11:02 a.m. Officer spoke by phone to woman who had noticed a series of unauthorized charges totaling over $5,100, which appeared to be for tickets from Ticketmaster. She had already contacted her bank to dispute the charges.

2:06 p.m. Possible imposter of utility worker reported on Turner Road. Report proved to be unfounded.

4:49 p.m. Officer went to Creesy Street to speak to woman about several incidents, mostly civil in nature, involving a neighbor, which she had already reported to police. She was wondering why he was not being stopped by police. Officer told her that she would have a good case for obtaining a harassment prevention order against the neighbor and that, if she did obtain an order, the police could, in fact, stop the man if he violated the order. Woman said she would go to court to seek the order.

9:34 p.m. Investigated report of ongoing harassment on Elm Street.

Website | + posts

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: